Ferry booked for France again

Where you go, where you stay and everything to do with getting there and back. You must register to post.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
You cannot post in this Archive forum (read only).
If you require to re-raise one of these topics in the live 80-90 forums, please insert a link to it in your first post.

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby radman » 08 Jan 2013, 22:30

Cheers Patrick,

I appreciate your recommendation and will equip myself with both :ok
radman
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 6th, Oct 2008
Location: KENT
80-90 Mem No: 6008

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby jason k » 10 Jan 2013, 23:04

We've just booked too for august, coming back the Thursday of vanfest.
We are going back to Normandy to a cracking site called camping LA vallee in houlgate, v close to the beach and a lovely market town.
98 Westfalia James Cook
jason k
 
Posts: 938
Joined: 13th, Nov 2005
Location: aberdare south wales
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby ringo » 10 Jan 2013, 23:21

jason k wrote:We've just booked too for august, coming back the Thursday of Vanfest.
We are going back to Normandy to a cracking site called camping LA vallee in houlgate, v close to the beach and a lovely market town.


Was your LT expensive on the ferry Jason?

Going to have to book mine soon I reckon.....

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.
User avatar
ringo
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: 14th, Oct 2005
Location: Nottingham
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby jason k » 11 Jan 2013, 07:11

No different from my westy!
98 Westfalia James Cook
jason k
 
Posts: 938
Joined: 13th, Nov 2005
Location: aberdare south wales
80-90 Mem No: 1959

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby D'Squared » 11 Jan 2013, 07:34

wer'e going end of July/beginning August Dover/Calais, and travelling down to Saint-Gilles-Croix-De-Vie, for the 1st week, then up to near Benodet for the 2nd week, all booked via CCC....Exciting times..!
1981 2.0 A/C VW T25 Devon Camper
2007 2.0TFSI VW MK5 Golf GTi 5 Dr
2015 1.2TSI VW Polo-(wifes car)
D'Squared
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 7th, Aug 2008
Location: Northampton
80-90 Mem No: 6645

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby dearjohn » 23 Jan 2013, 01:08

Well, after missing a year, have once again booked the ferry to France. Rosslare to Cherbourg return, 525 Euro. Was considering heading to UK and across on a shorter crossing, but by the time you factor in 2x crossings to Wales at 100 euro each, plus petrol to the south coast, you wouldn't be much better off. 160 Euro of the cost is for a cabin each way, and you can get a meal(almost as dear as the Cabin, you'd think it was a Michelin restuarant) watch a film and go drinking in the bar. Would be nice to live near a cheaper crossing! Nigel in Ireland.
dearjohn
 
Posts: 121
Joined: 13th, Sep 2007
Location: Cavan Ireland
80-90 Mem No: 5038

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby Ralf85 » 24 Jan 2013, 21:02

dearjohn wrote:Well, after missing a year, have once again booked the ferry to France. Rosslare to Cherbourg return, 525 Euro. Was considering heading to UK and across on a shorter crossing, but by the time you factor in 2x crossings to Wales at 100 euro each, plus petrol to the south coast, you wouldn't be much better off. 160 Euro of the cost is for a cabin each way, and you can get a meal(almost as dear as the Cabin, you'd think it was a Michelin restuarant) watch a film and go drinking in the bar. Would be nice to live near a cheaper crossing! Nigel in Ireland.


So when are you going over and where are you going.
:)
Patrick
Ralf85
 
Posts: 3811
Joined: 13th, Jan 2010
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby dearjohn » 24 Jan 2013, 22:13

Hi Patrick,
Heading out 20th August, back early september. (Kids do very little in the first week back at school,right?) Having a sept. return knocks about 150 euro off the total package. Heading to Cherbourg, then have to decide if going east or west! East would be a change from last time, and perhaps take in Bayeaux and battlefields, etc. just play itbyear, really. Mack in Cavan

Better value than other years, I think. Last year (booking nearer summer) was quoted 850 ish.
dearjohn
 
Posts: 121
Joined: 13th, Sep 2007
Location: Cavan Ireland
80-90 Mem No: 5038

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby Ralf85 » 24 Jan 2013, 22:22

dearjohn wrote:Hi Patrick,
Heading out 20th August, back early september. (Kids do very little in the first week back at school,right?) Having a sept. return knocks about 150 euro off the total package. Heading to Cherbourg, then have to decide if going east or west! East would be a change from last time, and perhaps take in Bayeaux and battlefields, etc. just play itbyear, really. Mack in Cavan

Better value than other years, I think. Last year (booking nearer summer) was quoted 850 ish.


Good time to go. You could potter down to the west coast. Lovely beaches and the camp sites should have plenty of space. Enjoy the trip. Slanche
:ok
Ralf85
 
Posts: 3811
Joined: 13th, Jan 2010
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby dearjohn » 24 Jan 2013, 22:53

Hi Patrick,
Went all along the coast of Finisterre 3 years ago. Lots of standing stones, stone walls and small fields. Incredible coastline, was in a little town (Portsall?)where the Amoco Cadiz ran aground in 1978. The ships anchor is on the village green, hard to imagine the scale of the ship! When the tide went out, it was like a a Martian Quarry out as far as you could see. Why any ships captain would come within 10 miles is a mystery! Great family campsites and great little village restuarants, especially away from the touristy areas. brought the bike, and cycled the back roads. People/drivers were so polite! Even Artics would go down the gears and stay behind you rather than pass without a long straight. Elderly farmers would give this struggling snow white tourist an encouraging wave as their little citroen passed. Great time, lets hope for good weather! Mack in Cavan.
dearjohn
 
Posts: 121
Joined: 13th, Sep 2007
Location: Cavan Ireland
80-90 Mem No: 5038

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby Ralf85 » 24 Jan 2013, 23:56

dearjohn wrote:Hi Patrick,
Went all along the coast of Finisterre 3 years ago. Lots of standing stones, stone walls and small fields. Incredible coastline, was in a little town (Portsall?)where the Amoco Cadiz ran aground in 1978. The ships anchor is on the village green, hard to imagine the scale of the ship! When the tide went out, it was like a a Martian Quarry out as far as you could see. Why any ships captain would come within 10 miles is a mystery! Great family campsites and great little village restuarants, especially away from the touristy areas. brought the bike, and cycled the back roads. People/drivers were so polite! Even Artics would go down the gears and stay behind you rather than pass without a long straight. Elderly farmers would give this struggling snow white tourist an encouraging wave as their little citroen passed. Great time, lets hope for good weather! Mack in Cavan.


Excellent commentary. I'm with you. My experience all over France has been brilliant. Even when we have broken down the guys who collected us were brilliant. On one occasion we were taken to a garage compound to stay over night and we had fun. On another occasion we broke down on the motorway. The guys took us to their garage and he and his family asked us to join them for an evening meal. Brilliant. They took the stress away. Anybody had a similar experience in the UK? Enjoy your trip.
:ok
Ralf85
 
Posts: 3811
Joined: 13th, Jan 2010
Location: West London - 1985 westie pop top, LHD, 1900 DF engine

Re: Ferry booked for France again

Postby Shem » 01 Feb 2013, 16:34

Very envious. After having a 6 week T25 trip all along the west coast last summer, my bank account wont be getting me onto any ferries this year. never mind, lots of UK fun on the cards...lets hope we get some sun!

Have fun
User avatar
Shem
 
Posts: 79
Joined: 5th, Jul 2012
Location: Wales and France

Previous

Return to Camping & Travelling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests