Non-Starter - About to call the garage!! UPDATE!!

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
You cannot post in this Archive forum (read only).
If you require to re-raise one of these topics in the live 80-90 forums, please insert a link to it in your first post.

Re: Non-Starter - About to call the garage!!

Postby Nicola&Tony » 21 Jan 2009, 05:15

foxbase wrote: . . . i thought about fuel actually - it was very low (really low) so thought it might of run out... I put a gallon in so I'm counting out running out of fuel.

That doesn't sound promising. Old fuel tanks get rusty inside and bits of rust end up sitting in the bottom of the tank as debris. If you run the fuel tank low, you start disturbing that debris and bits of it get sucked into your fuel hoses and engine. Keep plenty of fuel in the tank to avoid this.

Tony
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.
Nicola&Tony

80-90 Mem No: 3095

Postby jamesc76 » 21 Jan 2009, 06:59

foxbase wrote:I thought about fuel actually - it was very low (really low) so thought it might of run out... I put a gallon in so I'm counting out running out of fuel. Whether or not it's getting through is another matter.

You mention the wow wow wow sound of the engine turning over... I'm not sure I'm even getting that. All I'm hearing is the starter motor whirling away and nothing else.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh were getting some where now! Right you need to clean all the connections bang the starter solanoid like i said before and get some more fuel, more like another 10 ltrs min in the tank then remove the fuel filter bin it and replace it with a new one, you have most likely draged loads of gunk and rubish out the bottom of your tank so even if the starter worked ok the fuel wouldnt get to the carb anyway!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB
jamesc76

80-90 Mem No: 1186

Postby foxbase » 28 Feb 2009, 14:42

Okay, first chance I've had to get back to this since posting this a few weeks ago (my dad is here helping me too until tomorrow)

So, we've done this today:

replaced fuel filter (it was full of sh*t as suggested it would be)
replaced plugs
replaced dizzy and rotor
replaced coil

checked fuel pump - fine
cleaned up all the earths we could find

Now here is the odd thing. After replacing all that lot (one at a time) we still got nothing. Out came the Haynes to confirm firing order etc. 1 4 3 2. Confirmed everything was as it should - nothing but a few pops!!

Changed order of plugs on the dizzy to 1 2 3 4 the engine runs but not on tick-over.

My dad thinks its a timing thing now... anyone else have anything they can offer before I get a mobile mechanic out to her??

Thanks in advance

Jason (and his dad)
f o x b a s e a l p h a

1985 Westy Joker Hi-top 1.9

LIVING THE DREAM
foxbase

80-90 Mem No: 5320

Re: Non-Starter - About to call the garage!! UPDATE!!

Postby mrhutch » 01 Mar 2009, 12:34

timing could be a factor... when you replaced the dizzy did you mark up the original location and make sure it went back the same? I have seen Aircooled and wbx's need the timing tweaking after new coil.
1982 Vanagon Westy Going GTi again....
mrhutch

80-90 Mem No: 2698

Re: Non-Starter - About to call the garage!! UPDATE!!

Postby Mocki » 01 Mar 2009, 12:46

drop a cap off the petrol can s worth of fuel down the top of the carb.
if you have run it that low on fuel and its dragged clag into the filter the pump wont have primed, its a long way from the tank to the pump, and the diafram in the pump will also be dry, so wont be sucking well...

old fuel will also not fire well, so any in the carb and fuel lines will be stale most likely.

timing dont change on its own, only you know if you have turned the dissy in the drive.
Steve
tel / txt 07947137911
just one shade of very fast grey

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
Mocki
Membership Admin

80-90 Mem No: 428

Previous

Return to Technical Questions and Answers (archived from live forum)