1y with cracks between valves.and cam pulley without keyway

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
You cannot post in this Archive forum (read only).
If you require to re-raise one of these topics in the live 80-90 forums, please insert a link to it in your first post.

1y with cracks between valves.and cam pulley without keyway

Postby oldiguana » 26 Feb 2009, 15:08

yo ducks....forget the eber now.....had a s*******e" of a job getting the head off,including drillin a rounded off headbolt......now on closer inspection there are cracks between the valves on all 4 cylinders and a couple of hairline cracks near to the injector holes.........the cracks between the valves seem to be in the head not the valve seats...so all advice gratefully recieved.................
also took the cam pulley off and there is no keyway in it,theres a keyway in the end of the cam but non in the pulley.....me thinks its goin to be a t**t ti time up...so could i buy a pulley with said keyway in to save any grief...........................................................help me obi-wan-kenobi,you are my only hope!!!
nite at oow,but atlayst ar onna stuck wi' tha 2 faced oowa anymowwa.................membership no 2720
oldiguana

80-90 Mem No: 2720

Re: 1y with cracks between valves.and cam pulley without keyway

Postby mrhutch » 26 Feb 2009, 16:41

now then marra... no key should be in the CAM pulley, only the crank, force of bold holding pulley on keeps it tight... makes doing the timing easier as well. I have seen hairline (1mm) cracks on quite a few 1Y/aaz/jx heads, if in doubt get it skimmed and tested, it's off now anyway.

good luck
1982 Vanagon Westy Going GTi again....
mrhutch

80-90 Mem No: 2698

Postby oldiguana » 26 Feb 2009, 22:17

ah duck cheerz for that...i had an astra diesel years ago and the head had cracks on every valve,but was told its perfectly fine...but ive never stripped one of these before so dont really know the pros n cons ovum.....bein a bit brassy now im a lil' reluctant to have it pressure tested unless its imperitive i do so(£50 for a pressure test!!).....i know its got to be done..jus tryin to save a few bob on the way
nite at oow,but atlayst ar onna stuck wi' tha 2 faced oowa anymowwa.................membership no 2720
oldiguana

Postby mrhutch » 27 Feb 2009, 00:29

know what you mean, my bus is a daily driver and a mobile office... it's no westy and usually has our 3 springer spaniels in it covered in mud. Bang the head back on, new stretch bolts and a 3 spot gasket. clean the head up careful like and then forget about it !

I've stripped a fair few Aircooled in my time and all had cracks between valves. BTW mine is a 1Y but with JX turbo and AAZ pump and injectors... go on, blow it !
mrhutch

80-90 Mem No: 2698

Postby Oldiebut goodie » 27 Feb 2009, 11:22

oldiguana wrote:ah duck cheerz for that...i had an astra diesel years ago and the head had cracks on every valve,but was told its perfectly fine...but ive never stripped one of these before so dont really know the pros n cons ovum.....bein a bit brassy now im a lil' reluctant to have it pressure tested unless its imperitive i do so(£50 for a pressure test!!).....i know its got to be done..jus tryin to save a few bob on the way

The cracks are considered normal to most people - they don't affect the valves so ignore them. I had them on my 1.6d engine, a bit disconcerting when you first see them but don't seem to enlarge or cause any ill effect.
1Y 1.9d 1987 Hi-top Caravelle
508d Merc ex-bus
Oldiebut goodie

Postby oldiguana » 27 Feb 2009, 16:58

cheerz owducks,arv gor enuff yesses nar to av a gew.........ordered 10 new ed bowts tho jus be ont'safe side.....cheerz agen
oldiguana

Return to Technical Questions and Answers (archived from live forum)