Exhaust Dilemma.... Go stainless???

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
You cannot post in this Archive forum (read only).
If you require to re-raise one of these topics in the live 80-90 forums, please insert a link to it in your first post.

Exhaust Dilemma.... Go stainless???

Postby wasserleaker » 28 Feb 2009, 10:36

Hi all!
i replaced the pipework on my 2.1 about 18mnths ago, the silencer still looked ok, so left the old one, and now the pipework is really starting to flake off pieces of rust quite badly! (it's a JK one)
now the silencer is blowing a bit from a crack near the tailpipe end, so i'm debating wether to just replace the silencer, and stick with the steel pipework for now, or go for one of the full stainless systems, LA Performance, or VW Speedshop
the idea of having to fit a smaller oil filter worries me a bit, though i always change it every oil change, so are the shorter polo type ok?
any opinions from anyone with either of these systems fitted, or any other stainless ones that are available, would be great, if steel versions only last a couple of years, i'm coming round to the idea that stainless is going to be less hassle in the long run, are either of these systems any noisier than a std set up? wouldn't mind it a bit fruitier sounding, but not overly noisy so it becomes annoying on long journeys,
many thanks for any replies! :D
wasserleaker
wasserleaker

80-90 Mem No: 3058

Re: Exhaust Dilemma.... Go stainless???

Postby Ian Hulley » 28 Feb 2009, 10:39

The JP system (from Macclesfield) is no louder than the standard system .... or at least our's isn't.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
Ian Hulley

80-90 Mem No: 1323

Postby Mocki » 28 Feb 2009, 10:57

brickyard is, so im told doing a fulll stainless sys that is bit by bit interchangeable with the standard, so you dont need to replace all in one go..... ill be looking at this verrrry soon.
Steve
tel / txt 07947137911
just one shade of very fast grey

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
Mocki
Membership Admin

80-90 Mem No: 428

Postby phredd » 28 Feb 2009, 11:52

Mocki wrote:brickyard is, so im told doing a fulll stainless sys that is bit by bit interchangeable with the standard, so you dont need to replace all in one go..... ill be looking at this verrrry soon.

and please keep us all informed. ":ok"

Phredd
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
Membership No = 2626 @ Runcorn
IN ARDUIS FIDELIS.
phredd

Location: Doing 74mph down a dead end street. >>> in Runcorn.
80-90 Mem No: 2626

Postby windysurfer » 28 Feb 2009, 15:07

Brickwerks are indeed doing stainless

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=103&Itemid=6

Not got one myself but have heard only positive feedback from people on BY who have fitted them. :ok
If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado
windysurfer

80-90 Mem No: 3805

Postby wasserleaker » 01 Mar 2009, 10:48

Thanks for the replies,
going to weld a patch on the crack to get it thru the MOT this week, then after payday decide which stainless one to go for, the brickwerks system looks great, not keen on keeping the cast 'knuckle' though. looks very much like the bluebird customs system.
the JP system also looks great, ........decisions, decisions!
wasserleaker

80-90 Mem No: 3058

Return to Technical Questions and Answers (archived from live forum)