Head Gasket DG Engine

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
You cannot post in this Archive forum (read only).
If you require to re-raise one of these topics in the live 80-90 forums, please insert a link to it in your first post.

Head Gasket DG Engine

Postby Graham Rees » 02 Mar 2009, 19:23

Hi all I need some help I have a 1900cc DG engine with the head gasket gone. The Engine is out and the heads off. My first questions is can I leave the head studs and use them again I'm to scared to try and undo them (yes I now chicken) where's the best place to get the gasket set from? Now the engine out im thinking about a 2.1L engine will this be better on fuel than my DG ? (4 speed box) I have had this van for 8 months been on the road 1 week and found the head was losing air :cry:

Thanks for your help in advance Graham
Sex should be competitive, always try to come first.
Graham Rees

80-90 Mem No: 6399

Re: Head Gasket DG Engine

Postby ricicles » 02 Mar 2009, 20:08

i have heard that the 2.1 is better on fuel. is that due to the efi? anyway you will get more power :D
rather than changing yiur gearbox is it worth putting higher aspect ratio tyres on the back?
ricicles

80-90 Mem No: 6350

Postby Fritz » 02 Mar 2009, 20:34

If head studs are corroded then they will have to be replaced or their is no point in putting it back together,,,,,,gasket sets are availabe from ...

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?o ... 3&Itemid=6

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,,,,, :D
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....
Fritz

80-90 Mem No: 380

Postby Graham Rees » 02 Mar 2009, 20:42

Fritz wrote:If head studs are corroded then they will have to be replaced or their is no point in putting it back together,,,,,,gasket sets are availabe from ...

http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?o ... 3&Itemid=6

Regards

Fritz,,,,,,,,,, ":D"

Hi thanks for that they dont look corroded put not sure where to look put they are very tight. The only thing was when i undone the nut wasn't very tight!
Graham Rees

Postby ghost123uk » 03 Mar 2009, 00:47

It would take a lot of miles to get back the cost of a 2.1 !!

If your DG is otherwise in good nick I would carefully fit new gaskets and stick with what you know to be OK.

If they don't look corroded the studs should be fine (imho) and as they are usually so tight in the case, attempting to change them might result in breaking one and that is really bad news !!

I am finding during my research that attention to the correct use of sealants and using good quality gaskets (as available from Brickwerks) is important. Did the liner move at all when you took the head off (they often do) - if so it may be expedient to change the liner seals whilst it in bits, though this then involves taking the liners and pistons out and all that entails (circlip pliers, piston ring clamps ec !!)

I have mine is in bits at the mo, so if you need any moral support let me know :)
No VW van for a year!!!! but that's about to change!! Accurate LPG Station map here
ghost123uk

Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.
80-90 Mem No: 2585

Postby Graham Rees » 03 Mar 2009, 19:10

ghost123uk wrote:It would take a lot of miles to get back the cost of a 2.1 !!

If your DG is otherwise in good nick I would carefully fit new gaskets and stick with what you know to be OK.

If they don't look corroded the studs should be fine (imho) and as they are usually so tight in the case, attempting to change them might result in breaking one and that is really bad news !!

I am finding during my research that attention to the correct use of sealants and using good quality gaskets (as available from Brickwerks) is important. Did the liner move at all when you took the head off (they often do) - if so it may be expedient to change the liner seals whilst it in bits, though this then involves taking the liners and pistons out and all that entails (circlip pliers, piston ring clamps ec !!)

I have mine is in bits at the mo, so if you need any moral support let me know ":)"

Hi thanks for that had a better look today with someone who now's alot more than me and he has told me that both head have a crack n them ":(" so if anyone has DG heads in the back of there shed can i have them please Graham
Graham Rees

Postby Mocki » 03 Mar 2009, 19:44

put some pics of the heads up,
if its the very small cracks around the valves, it could well be not an issue, and quite normal.
Steve
tel / txt 07947137911
just one shade of very fast grey

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
Mocki
Membership Admin

80-90 Mem No: 428

Postby Graham Rees » 03 Mar 2009, 19:50

Mocki wrote:put some pics of the heads up,
if its the very small cracks around the valves, it could well be not an issue, and quite normal.

Hi yes it is it runs between the valves about 4-5mm
Graham Rees

Return to Technical Questions and Answers (archived from live forum)