Where to buy the correct Glow plug replacement tool?

General Technical Questions and Answers last answered over 1 year ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
You cannot post in this Archive forum (read only).
If you require to re-raise one of these topics in the live 80-90 forums, please insert a link to it in your first post.

Where to buy the correct Glow plug replacement tool?

Postby Ant_3000 » 04 Mar 2009, 11:49

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum so hi!

I have a 1.6 Diesel T25, built 1988, LH drive.

I think I need to replace the Glow plugs as it has trouble starting from cold (it takes about 45-60 secs and I'm worried about wearing out the starter motor!), but no probs at all once the engine has heated up. I've read the sound advice on the wiki and other threads, but still have a couple of questions:

How do i know exactly which glow plugs to buy? (I think this looks suitable but might I be wrong):

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_25/type-25-original-vehicle-parts/ignition-system/glowplugs/glow-plug.html

And where is the cheapest place to buy the correct spanner? This is the one that is suggested on the wiki:

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenches/ratcheting/xl_locking_flex/

but do I need both a 8mm and a 12mm or just one of these sizes?

Many thanks in advance for any help of advice.

P.S. I'm pretty mechanically minded but not had much experience with cars (more a bike/furniture maker) - would I be better off just taking it to a garage to get this done?
Ant_3000

80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Where to buy the correct Glow plug replacement tool?

Postby windysurfer » 04 Mar 2009, 13:02

I've just changed mine and got my glowplugs from Brickwerks
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=614&category_id=93&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6

It's a pretty easy job (i managed!) but space is very tight around the glowplug near the pump.
If Carlsberg made Coachbuilts...........Image T4 Karmann Colorado
windysurfer

80-90 Mem No: 3805

Re: Where to buy the correct Glow plug replacement tool?

Postby Fritz » 04 Mar 2009, 13:21

Just a common or garden 8 mm combination spanner will do to release the 'Buzz' bar from the top of each glow plug,,,,,, when re fitting just a 'nip' will do.... Don't over tighten or they will break off.

IMHO,As far as the Glow plugs are concerned, you will be better off buying a 3/8 drive hexagon deep socket and strong arm because sometimes these things can be very tight if they have been in for a while.
Then when you come to the one behind the pump this may even need the use of a semi deep socket to get it moving then finish off with a hexagon ring spanner.

Or just pay someone to do it for you.... :D

Rounding any of these plugs may cost more than you ever expected to put it right,,, :shock:

Regards

Fritz,,,,,
One day you will find me,,
Driving in my Camper,
With a Surf and Paisley wrap on both sides....
Fritz

80-90 Mem No: 380

Return to Technical Questions and Answers (archived from live forum)